“In March, 1883, Father Nattini spent a few weeks in Idaho City making the rounds of the Basin. Thence he proceeded to the Wood River Country, where he found the Oregon Short Line contruction crews building a roadway to Ketchum. Father Nattini was well acquainted with the Wood River country; the baptismal and other records demostrated that he was laboring around Hailey, Bellevue, and Ketchum in 1881. The 1882, records show his presence at Fort Hall, Bellevue and Hailey. The whole Wood River Mining District was booming at the time, and Father Nattini has little trouble in financing the construction of St. Charles on June 17, 1883. By the time he had this church completed, The Rev. Francis Hartleib had arrived in Boise City to take charge not only of the Capitol City but also the Boise Basin and Owyhee County. Therafter Father Nattini established his recidence at Hailey.” Page 169 “History of the Diocese of Boise 1863-1953.”
“Rt. Rev. Alphonse J. Gloriex, D.D., 1885-1893″ –During July and August 1885, Bishop Glorieux began a tour of visitation and inspection of these missions. On this trip he visited Father Nattini and the Wood River District, the Custer and Lemhi Mining Country; Pocatello and Montpelier in the southeast corner of the Territory……. Hailey had the only church in that vast territory of southern Idaho east of Boise. Page 209, “History of the Diocese of Boise 1863-1953.”\
On June 15, 1884, Father Nattini blessed the bell of the new church. Since bells call forth the faithful to worship and announce good news and sad tidings, they are considered to be nearly persons. As such, they are “baptized” with water, anointed with holy oil and given names. The original bell is still being used in the present church. Its companion, which originally was used in St. Francis Xavier Church in Bellevue, is now at the Benedictine Monastery of the Ascension, near Jerome, Idaho. The inscription on this bell reads as
Cath Miss S. E. Idaho
Rev. E. M. Nattini
One the obverse side:
Henry Mc Shane & Co.
Baltimore MD. 1884
(Note: D.O.M. is the abbreviation for Deo Optimo Maximo, which is translated To God, the Best, the Greatest.) Taken from 1983 document written by Father Donald D. Fraser.